It’s that time again! As we welcome in a new year and look ahead to the next 12 months, it’s the perfect opportunity to make the most of a fresh start in the world of HR. Whether it be staying ahead of compliance, finding new and innovative ways to engage your team or setting up wellbeing initiatives, this handy 2024 HR calendar could be your key ingredient.
Monday 15th January 2024 – Brew Monday (not to be confused with Blue Monday)
January can be a tough month. Whether it’s recovering from the festive season or struggling to stick to your resolutions, the post-Christmas slump has a habit of creeping up on us all.
Brew Monday was set up by the Samaritans to reinvent ‘Blue Monday’ (the most depressing day of the year) and remind everyone to reach out to each other over a cuppa, to support wellness and mental health.
Monday 1st April 2024 – National Wage Increase
The government has announced an increase of 9.8% to the National Living Wage (NLW) and a rise in minimum wages, so it is vital that you’re prepared in advance.
From 1st April 2024, the rate will go up from £10.42 to £11.44 per hour.
The age threshold to receive NLW has also been lowered, meaning that from 1st April 2024, all workers aged 21 and over will be entitled to £11.44, an increase of £1.02 per hour.
The new National Minimum wage rates will be:
- Age 23 or over – £11.44 rising from £10.42
- Age 21 to 22 – £11.44 rising from £10.18
- Age 18 to 20 – £8.60 rising from £7.49
- Age 16 to 17 and apprentices: £6.40 rising from £5.28
Thursday 4th April 2024 – Payroll year end
As 2024 is a leap year, payroll year end will take place a day earlier, on 4th April, instead of the usual 5th April. For staff specialising in payroll, it’s particularly important to get ahead of the game and have the end of the tax year 2023/24 firmly marked on the calendar.
It’s critical businesses submit payroll correctly and on time, or you could face legal action and fines.
Monday 13th May – Sunday 19th May 2024 – Mental Health Awareness Week
Mental Health Awareness Week shines a spotlight on the importance of mental wellbeing, and focuses on removing the stigma and promoting positive mental health. Championing good mental health creates a positive company culture and could include running wellbeing sessions, support groups or sharing helpful information, all of which will support your employees.
Saturday 1st June – Sunday 30th June 2024 – Pride Month
HR teams have a vital role to play in ensuring inclusivity and providing a supportive environment within the workplace. Pride is a great time to show support and celebrate LGBTQ+ culture.
Tuesday 1st October – Thursday 31st October 2024 – Black History Month
HR teams can celebrate black history and culture by embracing cultural differences to ensure an inclusive and positive working environment for everyone.
Monday 7th – Sunday 13th October 2024 – National Work-Life Week
It’s vital to encourage a healthy work-life balance among your staff to prevent stress and burnout. To raise awareness you could organise activities, share useful mental health resources digitally, encourage employees to take regular breaks, or host a group workshop about maintaining good mental health.
Bank Holidays are key dates for HR staff to keep on top of. Be sure to make a note of these dates so that you can effectively manage time off or, if your business remains open, arrange cover so that you’re not left short-staffed. Here are the 8 Bank Holidays in 2024:
- Monday 1st January 2024 – New Year’s Day
- Friday 29th March 2024 – Good Friday
- Monday 1st April 2024 – Easter Monday
- Monday 6th May 2024 – Early May Bank Holiday
- Monday 27th May 2024 – Spring Bank Holiday
- Monday 26th August 2024 – Summer Bank Holiday
- Wednesday 25th December 2024 – Christmas Day
- Thursday 26th December 2024 – Boxing Day
Other key dates to consider:
- Saturday 10th February 2024 – Chinese New Year – 2024 is the year of the dragon and a great chance to celebrate diverse cultural events and create an inclusive workplace environment.
- Thursday 1st February 2024 – Time to Talk – Run by Mind and Rethink Mental Illness, get involved with the nation’s biggest mental health conversation to promote good mental health and wellbeing.
- Saturday 17th February 2024 – Random Acts of Kindness Day – A chance to encourage positivity within the workplace.
- Friday 1st March 2024 – Employee Appreciation Day – The ideal opportunity to honour and reward your hard working staff.
- Friday 8th March 2024 – International Women’s Day – A great way to recognise success and support gender equality.
- Sunday 10th March to Monday 8th April 2024 – Ramadan – Increase awareness in your workplace and support Muslim colleagues who are fasting.
- Monday 1st April to Tuesday 30th April 2024 – Stress Awareness Month – The ideal time to offer ways to reduce stress and promote wellbeing.
- Sunday 7th April 2024 – World Health Day – Promote healthy living and fitness. Organising a sponsored team event is a great way to get everyone involved.
- Monday 20th May 2024 – International Human Resources Day – Recognise your fellow HR staff and celebrate your own successes.
- Wednesday 12th – Tuesday 18th June 2024 – Loneliness Awareness Week and Tuesday 30th July 2024 – International Friendship Day – These dates are a great opportunity to build team connections and relationships within the workplace.
- Sunday 6th August 2024 – Cycle to Work Day – A chance to promote the eco-friendly benefits of cycling, encourage physical activity, and raise awareness of the cycle to work scheme.
- Friday 20th – Wednesday 25th September 2024 – International Happiness at Work Week – Promote staff happiness and long-term job satisfaction. Consider arranging an inspirational speaker to address your team, or explore ways to create a happy work environment.
- Tuesday 10th October 2024 – World Mental Health Day – A day to promote positive mental health, offer support and focus on removing the stigma associated with mental health issues.
- Friday 1st November – Saturday 30th November 2024 – ‘Movember’ – Raise awareness or even company-wide sponsorship for men’s health issues, such as prostate cancer and depression.
- Tuesday 5th – Saturday 9th November 2024 – International Stress Awareness Week – A great time to promote health and wellbeing, and suggest ways to prevent burnout.
- Wednesday 6th November 2024 – National Stress Awareness Day – A day dedicated to promote health and wellbeing while sharing strategies to prevent burnout.
- Tuesday 19th November 2024 – International Men’s Day – An ideal opportunity to reduce stigmas and promote men’s health and wellbeing.
It’s easy to handle all of your HR obligations in one place with our industry-leading HR management system. Start your 14-day free trial or get in touch with our friendly team on 01252 636070 to find out more about HR Planner.